Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette (vegan and gluten-free)

Hello hello! Who is excited about the loooong weekend? I know I am! We are leaving for vacation (Portland ME, Boston, New Haven CT and Fire Island NY) tomorrow for 10 glorious days - I am stoked! Before I go, I thought I would leave you with a recipe that is bright and fresh, perfect for dressing up a summer salad (and it's vegan, gluten-free and soy-free! and can be nut free)



Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette (makes about one cup)




Ingredients:



1 medium-sized clove garlic

1/3 - 1/2 bunch cilantro (stems are okay)

juice and zest of one juicy lime

juice and zest of half an orange

~1/4 c extra virgin olive oil

~1 T local, raw honey (if available)

~4-5 walnut halves

sea salt & cracked black pepper to taste

water to thin to desired consistency



Blend all ingredients in a food processor. That's it! Sorry the measurements are so vague, but I think many times (especially with dressings), you really just have to taste as you go. Sometimes you need more acid (add lime), sometimes salt, sometimes sweet (if it tastes too acidic). Let you palette be your guide!



I served this over a salad of spring mix, walnuts, green olives and crisp jicama, topped with hemp seeds. It was a perfect blend of salty, sweet, savory and crunchy!

My sweet tooth has been kickin' lately... yellow cake (GF Betty Crocker made vegan with Earth Balance & flax egg) with chocolate frosting (coconut milk + Ghiradelli semi-sweet chips + brown sugar)


Chocolate chip cookie balls (GF Betty Crocker with Earth Balance + flax egg)


Enjoy your weekend! Let me know what shenanigans you're getting into ;)