Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Bloomin' Onion


The other day after my ultrasound, my mom and I went to a raw, vegan restaurant called Leafy Greens Cafe in downtown St. Pete to grab some dinner. I didn't have my camera, but we shared the Mediterranean Pizza and the Sandwich. They were both tasty, but the sandwich was amazing! It was my mom's first time having onion bread and she loved it! I am lucky that my family (both mine and my in-laws) are extremely supportive of how I choose to eat. They always stock up on tons of fresh produce, organic greens, kale and avocados when I visit. My parents (mom especially) will always try what I cook up too - they both love massaged kale salad and now request it frequently. Yay kale!


(my kale salad lover)

Anyway, the onion bread on the sandwich got me thinking - it's been forever since I used my dehydrator, so it was time to whip up a batch. Only downside? It makes the house smell... like a bloomin' onion :) not necessarily a bad thing! I didn't measure anything (per usual), but I used a recipe loosely based on this one (I use less oil). Here's the batter:

Into the deydrator:

So hard to wait for it!

but so good when it comes out :) I sliced some for sandwiches and used the rough edges to make crackers. sometimes it's okay to be a little rough around the edges!

I used some of the bread to make sandwiches with Italian pizza cheeze with alfalfa sprouts, julienned carrot, red pepper, grape tomatoes and guac.

I also did some with collard wraps:


Served with spicy almond butter dipping sauce:

and kale!


It was delicious!

What tasty food have you eaten lately?