Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

1 + 1 = 3


Hi friends! Big news to share - we are going to have a baby! (my mini-belly :)

and the baby inside:


It has been so difficult to not joyfully spread the news to family and friends and the blog world - it's so fun that I get to tell everyone now! I just had my 12 week appointment to check for Downs syndrome and some other stuff. The ultrasound technician said everything looked perfect! I took a short video of the ultrasound screen since my hubby couldn't be there:

and here's some more still shots:


(love that little hand!)
The baby was moving around the entire time, flipping and waving its arms and the mouth opened and closed like it was talking! so freaking cute. And hearing the heartbeat was the most magical sound I've ever heard - I am already so in love with the baby. I can't wait to find out if it's a boy or girl! We think it's a girl, and the Chinese gender predictor confirmed this ;) but, of course, either would be awesome! For the first three months, I didn't have any morning sickness (had some nausea), but I was extremely tired. My life = work. sleep. eat. sleep more. This past Sunday, however, (officially 12 weeks), I couldn't sleep - then I woke up on Monday before my alarm, did yoga and took Maki for a long walk. I have felt amazing all week - energetic and happy (particularly elated after yesterday's ultrasound going so well) and like all is right with the world. I called a few relatives last night to share the news, and their enthusiasm and love made this whole experience that much more special.

Food-wise, I've mostly just been craving produce (even more than usual!). There's been a few weeks I've eaten an entire watermelon within a week. So refreshing ;) Of course, kale salad still makes a regular appearance!

and I made a batch of Angela's veggie burgers - the best recipe I've ever tried! I made a few substitutions (such as gluten-free cracker crumbs for oats) and they were fabulous. I will be making these again.

Aren't they enormous?


Avocados are one food I just cannot get enough of. So delicious to me right now! (as they were before). Sometimes I just cut up a whole one and eat with lemon and sea salt. Mmmmm. I had my first tempeh experience recently, inspired by Mama Pea at Peas & Thank you (can't wait to make her Spicy Tempeh tacos!) and Gena at Choosing Raw - I made Gena's Quinoa & Bean salad with Cumin Vinaigrette -


I've been eating this for lunch every day this week. Super filling and tasty but not heavy - a great work lunch. I also made Gena's Vegan Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas -




the molasses in these gives them a great boost of flavor and they are easy to put together. (Okay, I admit - I used a jar of green chili / tomatillo salsa instead of making sauce. What can I say? I have a baby in my belly and we are hungry and impatient at the end of the day! It goes something like this: Give. me. food. now.). And then there was tofu taco night:


I am loving all the summer produce. And smoothies: (layered nana / strawberry / blueberry in a glass and a blueberry mango smoothie!)

What's your favorite thing about this time of year?