Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Maple Cinnamon Buckwheat Crispies lead to Cereal Addiciton

Hi friends! Finally, the weekend!

I am not generally a big cereal eater. Mostly because I could eat half the box and still want more. I went through about a week during my first trimester where I wanted cereal all. the. time. So I ate it. Many times a day. And it was glorious! My diet is generally very well rounded, but especially now that I seem to crave certain things (kale and avocadoes and watermelon come to mind) and then eat them non-stop for several days, I’m trying to make sure I eat enough nutrients – especially carbs. Most of mine come from veggies and fruit. Buckwheat is a pretty amazing little grain: it’s gluten free, cooks quickly, tastes good raw, can be made into flour pretty quickly.

I basically followed the recipe from Raw Food Real World. Here’s what it looks like after dehydrating for awhile:

And after breaking into bite-size cereal pieces!


So good with organic blueberries and raspberries:

adding the almond milk:


The best part about this cereal is it is super-filling and satiating thanks to the protein in the buckwheat. One bowl is actually enough to keep me full all morning! I bet this would even be good without dehydrating, eaten like breakfast porridge – the texture of the raw, blended buckwheat is chewy and creamy.

When I was a kid, I loved Reese's Peanut Butter Puffs. Now all the weird ingredients freak me out and I'd rather eat buckwheat! Funny how that happens.

Are you a cereal eater? What's your favorite kind?